CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Autumn Harvest Stew

When the air gets cool and the leaves start to change I get excited. I love the change from summer to fall. It makes me want to wear slippers and dust off my crockpot. I love soup and I don't think about making soup until it gets cold so if you're like me and are itching to make some soup, then get out your crockpot and try this recipe.

This is actually a combination of two soup recipes. I took my favorite things about each of them and put them together.


Autumn Harvest Stew
1 lb. uncooked sausage links, cut into 1/2 inch pieces (I also use pork roast cubed and browned a little first)
2 1/2 cups peeled and cubed winter squash ( butternut is my fave)
1 1/2 cups peeled and cubed potatoes (sweet potatoes are good too.)
2 medium fennel bulbs cut into 1 inch pieces (you can use celery if you want)
1 lrg onion chopped (I like to cut them really big)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 15oz can red kidney beans, drained
1/2 tsp dried sage, crushed
1/2 tsp thyme, crushed
salt and papper to taste
4 cups chicken broth (I usually need 5 cups)
2 cups chopped cabbage or spinach (save for the end)

-Place in a 5-6 qrt cooker place veggies then beans, then seasonings. Top with meat and pour broth over top. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. Add the cabbage at the end and cook for 5 more minutes.

This is Jared's favorite. It is very yummy.

0 comments: